ignite-user mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comparing Strings in SQL statements
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2017 08:54:46 GMT
On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:02 PM, iostream <sidds.moona@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used Informix DB before. In Informix string comparisons such as -
> SELECT * from Person where fName = "ABC";
> return rows even if the column value has trailing spaces. The Informix
> engine internally trims strings before comparison. It would be great if a
> similar feature could be added to Ignite because performing TRIM() in every
> create or update scenario will be expensive from an application point of
> view.

TRIM() on insert or update is a much better approach in my view, because
the trimmed string can be properly indexed, and then the comparisons will
use the direct index lookup and perform much better. If the comparison has
to trim on the fly, then it will likely be a full scan, not a direct index

However, to consider this feature for Ignite, I would like to read some
documentation from other databases that describes this behavior. Would be
great if you could provide a link.