ignite-user mailing list archives

From "Roger Fischer (CW)" <rfis...@Brocade.com>
Subject Schema vs CacheName
Date Wed, 30 Aug 2017 00:33:31 GMT
Hello,

I am a bit confused about schemas and cache names.  In some cases they seem synonymous, on
others the appear different.

So far I have defined everything in XML configuration. To execute a query, I get the cache
[getOrCreateCache()], and then execute the query statement. When the statement joins to another
table, I prefix the cache name to the other table. So far, so good.

Now, I want to create a table using SQL. From the doc I understand that I need to set the
schema in the query [setSchema("PUBLIC")].

Q1: Can I do this on any cache (opened)?

Q2: Is there any other use for [setSchema("PUBLIC")]?
For example, when I have the PersonCache open, can I set the schema to OrganizationCache,
so that I can query the Organization table without prefixing the cache name?

If Q2 is yes, then Schema and CacheName seem to be synonymous for configuration created tables.
But they are not for SQL created tables (per doc the cache name will be SQL_{SCHEMA_NAME}_{TABLE}.

Q3: Then, is there also a "PUBLIC" cache? If yes, can I get that cache [getOrCreateCache("PUBLIC")]?

If Q3 is no, then (presumably) I need at least one cache before I can create a table using
SQL.

Q4: In cross-cache queries, I always use CacheName as the prefix, correct?
This is really where the confusion comes from, because typically it would be a schema that
is prefixed to the table.

Thanks...

Roger