ignite-user mailing list archives

From Raymond Wilson <raymond_wil...@trimble.com>
Subject RE: Possible race condition when starting up Ignite nodes taking part in partition affinity map
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2017 20:58:54 GMT
Hi Val,

I don't have any tests, sorry. I have a test app that renders thematic
tiles from spatial data held in Ignite. It works by asking certain Ignite
nodes to perform processing across a partitioned cache with affinity
mapping across a set of data stored on 4 nodes, the results of which are
sent as (possibly many) messages directly to another node which issued the
request for the data, which then renders each piece of information as it
comes in. The volume of data is not large; all the ignite nodes consume
around 1.6Gb of memory on a computer with 16Gb RAM and 8 cores. There is
no SQL DB in this system, all the cache entries are persisted versions of
objects with significant internal structure represented as .Net
MemoryStream instances in the cache to minimize
serialization/deserialization overhead.

I'm not using the Ignite map reduce style queries as I could not see how
to send partial results from a node to the caller other than by using the
Ignite message fabric (ie: have a node send the results for its share of
the processing back in multiple parcels). Each message contains several Kb
of data, and there may be thousands of such messages relayed to the
rendering node.

It 'feels' slower, but I don't have any hard performance numbers (and have
not had the time to invest in side by side comparisons). When 'zoomed in'
so that relatively little data is being requested and rendered, the v1.9
client is very snappy, but the v2.0 client has small but noticeable
delays, it just doesn't feel as responsive.

Thanks,
Raymond.