ignite-user mailing list archives

From vkulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enforcing data to be stored in Heap only
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2017 23:18:15 GMT
Amit Pundir wrote
> Does that mean the on-heap will benefit only when we have more 'get'
> operations but will degrade the performance with 'put' operations?

Yes, I think it's accurate. However, even for reads performance will be
noticeable inly in certain scenarios. As I already mentioned, this is just a
cache, it's not designed to duplicate everything you have off-heap.

Amit Pundir wrote
> Also, why Ignite 2.0 is duplicating data instead of maintaining one copy
> be in on-heap or off-heap?

Because that's the architecture of Ignite 2.0. It uses page memory, so there
are no objects at all. Everything is binary and everything is off-heap where
Ignite allocates memory manually, bypassing JVM and GC. Starting with 2.1
these pages can also be mapped to disk.