ignite-user mailing list archives

From Amit Pundir <amitpun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enforcing data to be stored in Heap only
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2017 08:41:33 GMT
Hi Val,
Thanks for the response.

The onHeap get performance is better than getting from offHeap especially
for our use-cases. We get the data, update and put it back multiple times.
With every such request, the deserialization overhead from offHeap adds up.
We can't take such an overhead to maintain our SLAs.

Also, the decision to use on-heap vs off-heap should be left to the
application. In our case, we are fine to get a bigger heap (8 GB). But with
Ignite 2.0, the total RAM requirement shoots up drastically because it keeps
a copy of the on-heap data off-heap.

/I am assuming with on-heap enabled, the complete 'Entry<Key, Value>' is
stored on-heap and not just the 'Key'. I will confirm this with heap dump.