ignite-user mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about on-heap cache with off-heap memory
Date Wed, 24 May 2017 01:04:02 GMT
Dave,

These are Ignite’s memory internals. If you need to use the platform as a L1/L2 cache of
the data that is on disk then just slide Ignite in between your persistent storage and application:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/persistent-store <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/persistent-store>

Watch these screencast for more details:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ6h55VhUBI&feature=youtu.be <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ6h55VhUBI&feature=youtu.be>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7O7Nh0btO4 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7O7Nh0btO4>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtI2Z01kAA <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBtI2Z01kAA>

Once this is done the data will be cached by Ignite in the off-heap memory and, optionally,
in Java heap if you need this.

—
Denis

> On May 23, 2017, at 5:50 PM, Dave <dlmarion@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Denis,
>
>  Thanks for the quick response. I take your response to mean that they don't work together
in concert to provide a L1/L2 cache capability. Is this something that a user can do with
event listeners?

> Dave
>

> On May 23, 2017 8:43 PM, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> The off-heap memory became the only memory mode supported in 2.0:
> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/page-memory <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/page-memory>
>
> There is an option to enable caching of key-value entries in Java heap if needed:
> https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/page-memory#on-heap-caching <https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/page-memory#on-heap-caching>
>
> If the heap caching is enabled then these eviction mechanism can be used (the data is
evicted from the Java heap only):