ignite-user mailing list archives

From 张帅 <satan.stud...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: OOM when using Ignite as HDFS Cache
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2017 06:50:51 GMT
I'm using the latest version of JDK, AKA. 1.8.0_121

The cache is aim to provide a faster read/write performance. But the availability is more
important. 1GB cache is for testing purpose. But it's the same issue if I write a 1TB file
to 64GB cache.

What I mean availability is that Ignite should not exit with OOME. Slow down write performance
is kind of downgrade. If I write directly to HDFS, I got a write performance of x MB/s. If
I write through Ignite, I got a higher performance y MB/s. It is great if y far more larger
than x, and also acceptable equal to x sometimes, but not acceptable if HDFS still working
but Ignite not working.

Breaking into small blocks is possible because data coming in a kind of stream. We are always
able to pack it whenever we collected 512MB data.

This issue is not about Cache Eviction Strategy, but about how to avoid OOME & service
not available. Cache eviction would not solve it because there do have more data than cache
capacity.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jörn Franke [mailto:jornfranke@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2017 2:36 PM
To: user@ignite.apache.org
Subject: Re: OOM when using Ignite as HDFS Cache

I would not expect any of the things that you mention. A cache is not supposed to slow down
writing. This does not make sense from my point of view. Splitting a block into several smaller
ones is also not feasible. The data has to go somewhere before splitting.

I think what you refer to is certain cache eviction strategies.
1 GB of cache sounds small for a HDFS cache.
I suggest to enable the default configuration of ignite on HDFS and then change it step by
step to your envisioned configuration.

That being said, a Hadoop platform with a lot of ecosystem components can be complex, in particular
you need to calculate that each of the components (hive, spark etc) has certain memory assigned
or has it used when jobs are running. So even if you have configured 1 gb somebody else might
have taken it. Less probable but possible is that your JDK has a bug leading to OOME. You
may also try to upgrade it.

> On 14. Apr 2017, at 08:12, <zhangshuai.ustc@gmail.com> <zhangshuai.ustc@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think it's a kind of misconfiguration. The Ignite document just
> mentioned about how to configuration HDFS as a secondary filesystem
> but nothing about how to restrict the memory usage to avoid OOME.
> https://apacheignite.readme.io/v1.0/docs/igfs-secondary-file-system
>
> Assume I configured the max JVM heap size to 1GB.
> 1. What would happen if I write very fast before Ignite write data to HDFS asynchronized?
> 2. What would happen if I want to write a 2GB file block to Ignite?
>
> I expected:
> 1. Ignite would slow down the write performance to avoid OOME.
> 2. Ignite would break the 2GB file block into 512MB blocks & write them to HDFS to
avoid OOME.

> Do we have configurations against above behaviors? I dig some items from source code
& Ignite Web Console, but seems they are not working fine.

> <property name="fragmentizerConcurrentFiles" value="3"/> <property
> name="dualModeMaxPendingPutsSize" value="10"/> <property
> name="blockSize" value="536870912"/> <property name="streamBufferSize"
> value="131072"/> <property name="maxSpaceSize" value="6442450944"/>
> <property name="maximumTaskRangeLength" value="536870912"/> <property
> name="prefetchBlocks" value="2"/> <property
> name="sequentialReadsBeforePrefetch" value="5"/> <property
> name="defaultMode" value="DUAL_ASYNC" />
>
> I also notice that Ignite write through file block size is set to 64MB. I mean I write
a file to Ignite with block size to 4GB, but I finally found it on HDFS with block size 64MB.
Is there any configuration for it?

be a lot of byte[] objects, please find the nearest GC root for them.