ignite-user mailing list archives

From Andrey Mashenkov <amashen...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Very slow cache query compared to H2
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2017 08:14:48 GMT
Hi Zaid,

Have you try to run query on MySQL or H2 in client server mode?
In your test, there is an additional overhead on network round-trip and
data serialization\deserialization. Ignite is designed as distributed
storage, so complex SQL queries should run faster while you adding new
nodes.

You can try add more nodes and make some of your cached partitioned to get
a speed-up due to query will be run in multiple threads (on multiple
nodes). Speed-up will be as much noticeable as more data should be
looked-up by data engine. Also you can try to rise up SQl query parallelizm
level that available from ignite-1.9 to run query in multiple threads
within single node.

Comparing to Mysql, Ignite gives you failover distributed storage with full
ACID out-of-the-box for free.
Of course, it has lacks in some scenarios. E.g. for now, it has bigger
overhead for simple queries than anyone would expected, but most of SQL
engine lacks can be overcome with
carefully data distribution planing and using fast key-value engine in some
cases.

So, if you plan to use some distributed solution (not Ignite only) you
should test it in environment as much closer to production as possible, not
just a execution time of one query on single node.

Thanks.