ignite-user mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@gridgain.com>
Subject New Advanced Task for Contribution: Apache Ignite and Kubernetes
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 21:04:25 GMT
Igniters,

Recently I’ve come across an interesting and promising solution that can greatly simplify
and automate maintenance and scalability of an application - Kubernetes.

Kubernetes is an open-source system for automating deployment, scaling, and management of
containerized applications.
http://kubernetes.io <http://kubernetes.io/>

In general, Apache Ignite perfectly fits the concepts implemented in Kubernetes which may
greatly simplify and automate the maintenance and scaling of Apache Ignite clusters running
under the supervision of Kubernetes.

Ignite won't be the first distributed storage that supports Kubernetes. There are already
a number of existed ones that being used:
https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/examples/storage/cassandra <https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/examples/storage/cassandra>
https://github.com/pires/hazelcast-kubernetes <https://github.com/pires/hazelcast-kubernetes>
https://www.mongodb.com/blog/post/running-mongodb-as-a-microservice-with-docker-and-kubernetes
<https://www.mongodb.com/blog/post/running-mongodb-as-a-microservice-with-docker-and-kubernetes>

I’ve prepared a number of tickets that incorporates the work to be done to make it possible
to run Ignite under Kubernetes supervision.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4159 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-4159>

If you’re interested to contribute this to Apache Ignite please go ahead and take over the
activity. If you have an experience with Kubernetes please don’t hesitate sharing your thoughts
and adding extra tasks whenever is needed.

—
Denis