ignite-user mailing list archives

From "javastuff.sam@gmail.com" <javastuff....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: understanding Locks usage
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2016 22:49:52 GMT
With Key Vs Entry lock, I am talking about lock granularity.
Key lock is kind of synchronous block or method which have processing logic
unrelated to the key or cached data being processed but a different shared
resource. Kind of distributed mutex. but note that it does not need all
other feature from a distributed cache access semantic.
Entry lock is a distributed cache lock with all data access semantics. It
can be seen as row level lock for a DB system.
It is good to have, but not necessary. Entry lock can achieve what key lock
need to do.

Few last question on Locks -
1. Is there a way to have time-to-live for a lock? what happens
thread/system got killed before unlocking?
2. Locks works only with TRANSACTIONAL mode, is there approx benchmark which
can be shared for FETCH/PUT/FECTCHALL/PUTALL comparing TRANSACTIONAL vs
ATOMIC?

For key lock scenario above, I can have a separate cache just for locks
(Transnational) and separate cache for data (Atomic), but want to decide is
that really needed.

Thanks,
-Sam