ignite-user mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: igfs.withAsync is still synchronous in most file operations?
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2016 06:48:26 GMT
Hi Nicolae,

This is not very easy question.

First, "withAsync()" was introduced to IGFS mainly to support task
execution (methods "execute(...)"). For now it is pretty clear that these
methods are of very little use because there are much more convenient
frameworks to achieve the same goals - Hadoop and Spark. And IGFS can be
plugged into them easily. So I think there are rather high chances that
almost all async methods will be removed in Apache Ignite 2.0.

Second, we already has a kind of asynchrony for file writes. We have
special mode DUAL_ASYNC which flushes data to the secondary file system
asynchronously. Having two "flavors" of asynchrony makes API complex and

But having said that I still think that asynchronous execution on standard
file system operations like "mkdirs", "remove", etc. could be useful. E.g.
removal of a directory with million files may take substantial time, and
user may want this process to happen in a background.

I hope we will come to some clear solution in Apache Ignite 2.0 and most
methods will have async counterparts.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 12:48 AM, vkulichenko <valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com