ignite-user mailing list archives

From Jason <fqy...@outlook.com>
Subject Re: How is memory used for the Ignite server node?
Date Sun, 31 Jul 2016 13:53:21 GMT
Thanks Val.

>> Heap memory is not managed by Ignite, so such fluctuations are always
>> possible. You can try to decrease heap size to 4g, for example, and check
>> how it works. Depending on your use case this can be enough or not (but I
>> would not recommend less).

what does  capacity planning
<https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/capacity-planning>   mean? it doesn't
include all the memory that is needed? for big off_heap, it still needs
extra heap memory to process? then how to estimate the heap memory usage?
would you like to share some production experience data?

>> As for off-heap, this can depend on different factors. Are your entries
>> typically of the same size? Do you use any kind of collocation? Ignite
>> affinity tries to evenly distribute entries across nodes, and if you
>> simple put a lot of entries of the same size, consumed memory should be
>> the same on all nodes. But in real use cases that's not always true.

The entries are in the size of ~2k-3k. no collocation, only one entry type.
It's OK for all the nodes not to have the same entries, but my concern is
the memory which is much bigger than that of  capacity planning
<https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/capacity-planning>  .

If there isn't a good guide for the capacity planning, and it can only be
tested case by case, it should be very risky for the cache's reliability and
cost with big data.