ignite-user mailing list archives

From phalverson <peter.halver...@gmail.com>
Subject Separate vs shared caches for different value types?
Date Tue, 24 May 2016 20:23:16 GMT
I've seen recommendations for using separate caches for different business
types, e.g. Organization, Person, Department. I can see that doing so would
allow for different policies for each type, but if a single policy will
suffice, what's the rationale for preferring multiple caches over a single
common cache with an (indexed) "type" query field? That would seem to add an
additional layer of overhead if there are a lot of different types, and
significantly complicate managing type hierarchies.

More concretely, if I wanted to manage objects of type Employee and User,
both of which are sub-types of Person, how would I effectively query all
Persons by last name if the sub-types are in separate caches? What if I
wanted to join to/from other entity types, e.g. SecurityGroup? I understand
there's no direct support for type hierarchies in Ignite (that I've seen),
but my needs are simple and I can fake it with a single monolithic cache and
careful query construction. Doing so across multiple caches seems much