ignite-user mailing list archives

From vkulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Efficiency worse than postgresql. Why ?
Date Fri, 20 May 2016 11:20:06 GMT
Hi,

I think your test makes much sense.

First of all, with Ignite you should make sure that all participating JVMs
are warmed up and don't spent time on runtime byte code optimizations.
Simply run the test case in a loop for some period of time (e.g., a minute)
and only then start to take measurements. You will get much better results.

Second of all, I would recommend to test queries that are closer to what
you're going to use in your application. With 'select *' and 'select
count(*)' you will never get a clear picture which technology better fits
your use case.

And finally, 15000 rows is a very little number and I doubt that you will
get a visible improvement with Ignite. Ignite is a distributed system and
allows you to scale large datasets across several nodes - this is the
scenario when Ignite is much more powerful. On the other hand, Postgres
already has its own in-memory caches and with such a small database there is
a big chance that you never access disc at all.

-Val