ignite-user mailing list archives

From abarbaro <abarb...@powercosts.com>
Subject Reducing On-Heap Cache Memory Footprint
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2016 01:32:34 GMT

I'm trying to understand the memory footprint for ON_HEAP caches in Ignite
with the goal of sizing server nodes properly.

I have set up a simple cache test with a single server node and 2,000,000
entries of type <Long, PortfolioAsset> and collected a Heap Dump.  Each
instance of PortfolioAsset is 32 bytes, and Long is 24 bytes.

When looking at the Heap Histogram and seeing the amount of memory overhead
I would like to know if there if there is a way to reduce/eliminate it.  In
picture shown below I can account for the rows in green:  my keys, my
values, the serialized version of the values (BinaryObjectImpl), and some
overhead for the cache entries.  This part makes total sense to me.
However, I can't quite make sense of the 3 entries in red.

How can I tweak my cache/ignite configuration parameters to remove this
overhead?  The data and entries only take 260 MB while the other stuff takes
380 MB.  Here's my config:

		<property name="cacheConfiguration">
			<bean class="org.apache.ignite.configuration.CacheConfiguration">
				<property name="memoryMode" value="ONHEAP_TIERED"/>
				<property name="atomicityMode" value="ATOMIC"/>
				<property name="cacheMode" value="PARTITIONED"/>
				<property name="offHeapMaxMemory" value="-1"/>
				<property name="copyOnRead" value="false"/>
				<property name="backups" value="0"/>
				<property name="eagerTtl" value="false"/>
				<property name="startSize" value="10000"/>
				<property name="affinity">
						<property name="partitions" value="32"/>

Thanks in advance for your help.