ignite-user mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Off heap disc location
Date Sat, 09 Jan 2016 20:26:44 GMT
Hi Vinay,

Please see my answers inline

On 1/9/2016 9:22 PM, vinshar wrote:
> How can i specify a off heap disc location for a cache? What is default?
If you mean a swap location where data is evicted from RAM then you can
override a default swapping location this way

// Configure swap spi changing location.
FileSwapSpaceSpi spi = new FileSwapSpaceSpi();
spi.setBaseDirectory("/some/path/for/swapping");

// Set the spi in IgniteConfiguration
IgniteConfiguration cfg = new IgniteConfiguration();
cfg.setSwapSpaceSpi(spi);

//Start the node.
Ignition.start(cfg);

By default the same SPI is used with the swap location at
'IGNITE_HOME/work/swapspace'.

On the other hand if under the off heap disc location you mean a
persistent storage then I would suggest reading this article
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/persistent-store

> As per performance tips, enabling swap storage hurts performance. Why? isn't
> that suppose to improve performance by keeping recently accessed entry in
> memory and avoiding File I/O or random memory read for subsequent gets for
> the same cache object?
The tip means that the performance will suffer if you get objects that
are already evicted to a swap storage. If the objects were in RAM
reading would be much faster.

Regards,
Denis