Kobe, Paolo,

At the moment IGFS has no adapters to interact with "regular" file systems without Hadoop. Note that Hadoop comes with LocalFileSystem [1] class which delegates to OS file system. Probably you can give it a chance and check whether it meets your requirements.

Some time ago there was a discussion to implement native IGFS -> OS adapter [2], but no final decisions were made. As were are seing growing interest to this feature probably we should resume this thread.

[1] https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.7.1/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/LocalFileSystem.html
[2] http://apache-ignite-developers.2346864.n4.nabble.com/Making-Ignite-In-Memory-File-System-mountable-td287.html

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Kobe <rk_@mailcity.com> wrote:
Kobe wrote
> I have heard that I should not expect low latency access with HDFS. Could
> I back IGFS with ext4 or a clustered file system?

I ask because I suspect (and this could be my ignorance of applications of
HDFS) that HDFS has overtones of Hadoop, in that its designed for large
scale storage of data to make it amenable for MapReduce. I do not have a
MapReduce use case for the data.

Could I use HDFS simply as a distributed filesystem without bringing in
Hadoop? If not, I would like to back my IGFS with a regular filesystem, even
ext3.

Regards,

/Kobe