ignite-user mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: off heap memory
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:39:31 GMT
On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 12:52 PM, <ambha.ungrapalli@wipro.com> wrote:

> Memcache and Hazelcast Enterprise 3.6.X use slab allocation for effective
> memory utilization.
> Is there any such plan for Ignite in future release?

We are currently revising Ignite memory model and will add an option to use
the slab allocator early next year.

Also, I should mention that the slab allocator is part of Hazelcast
enterprise edition, and is not free. It may utilize memory slightly better,
but it would likely loose in performance to the old-fashioned malloc, which
is used in Ignite. Also, malloc is often fragmentation-aware and handles it
automatically.

D.