ignite-user mailing list archives

From d..@eiler.net
Subject Re: Help with tuning for larger clusters
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2015 12:48:23 GMT
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for opening the jira bug, I had
also noticed there is another being actively worked about rebalancing
being slow.

1) Yep, before dropping the port range it took several minutes before
everyone joined the topology. Remember I can't use multicast so I have
a single IP configured that everyone has to talk to for discovery.

1a) The underlying network is FDR infiniband. All throughput and
latency numbers are as expected with both IB based benchmarks. I've
also run sockperf between nodes to get socket/IP performance and it
was as expected (it takes a pretty big hit in both throughput and
latency, but that is normal with the IP stack.) I don't have the
numbers handy, but I believe sockperf showed about 2.2 GBytes/s
throughput for any single point-to-point connection.

1b) The cluster has a shared login node and the filesystem is shared,
otherwise the individual nodes that I am launching ignite.sh on are
exclusively mine, their own physical entities, and not being used for
anything else.  I'm not taking all the cluster nodes so there are
other people running on other nodes accessing both the IB network and
the shared filesystem(but not my ignite installation directory, so not
the same files)

2) lol, yeah, that is what I was trying to do when I started the
thread. I'll go back and start that process again.

3) Every now and then I have an ignite process that doesn't shutdown
with my pssh kill command and required a kill -9. I try to check every
node to make sure all the java processes have terminated (pssh ps -eaf
| grep java) but I could have missed one. I'll try to keep an eye out
for those messages as well. I've also had issues where I've stopped
and restarted the nodes too quick and the port isn't released yet.

4) Over the weekend I had a successful 64 node run, and when it came
up I didn't see any "Retry partition exchange messages". I let it sit
for a couple hours and everything stayed up and happy. I then started
running pi estimator with increasing number of mappers. I think it is
when I was doing 10000 mappers that it got about 71% through and then
stopped making progress although I kept seeing the ignite messages for
inter node communication. When I noticed it was "stuck" then there was
an NIO exception in the logs. I haven't looked at the logs in detail
yet but the topology seemed intact and everything was up and running
well over 12 hours.

I might need to put this on the back burner for a little bit, we'll see.

Joe