ignite-user mailing list archives

From Valentin Kulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions on transitioning from GridGain to Ignite
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2015 22:24:59 GMT
Hi Vinay,

My answers are inline...

-Val

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Vinay B, <vybe3142@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> We've used Gridgain for a while now, mostly for job distribution. It's
> been a while since we upgraded and as a result, we currently run the open
> source edition of gridgain (V 6.2.1)
>
> Since Gridgain community is now part of the Apache ecosystem, what are the
> best practices /concerns we will need to address to bring our grid enabled
> code up to date?

It sounds like you mostly used GridCompute API. If so, you should switch to
IgniteCompute [1], which is pretty much the same. The only major difference
is that node projections were replaced with cluster groups [2], which is a
more lightweight concept. Now you just acquire IgniteCompute instance for a
specific group of nodes and use this instance to execute tasks on these
nodes.

[1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/compute-grid
[2] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/cluster-groups

> Specifically,
> 1. I'm assuming we would need to change our maven targets to point to the
> appropriate ignite 1.3.3 (or latest) group / artifacts. See
> http://www.gridgain.com/download/editions/

That's right. New group ID for all artifacts is org.apache.ignite. Artifact
IDs are ignite-xxx - the set of modules is the same as it was in GridGain
6.x with couple new ones.

> 2. What is the general scope of the packaging changes? Does (in general),
> org.gridgain translate to org.apache.ignite(and similar) or has there been
> a total overhaul / refactir of class names?

It depends on what APIs are you using. E.g., cache and query APIs had a lot
of changes, while compute API, as I already mentioned, stayed almost the
same.

> 3. Likewise, for the grid configuration Spring / XML files ?

In general, GridConfiguration was replaced with IgniteConfiguration and
GridCacheConfiguration was replaced with CacheConfiguration. Most of the
properties are the same, but there were some additions and renamings. I
would change class names first and see if it works, then fix
any discrepancies.

> 4. Is there a migration / upgrade document available?

We don't have such a document because the migration process differs from
one use case to another. I think the best way is to refactor package and
class names first (e.g., use Ignite instead of Grid, IgniteCache instead of
GridCache, etc.) and then go through the code that does not compile. You
will probably have to refer to corresponding documentation pages to see how
particular API looks like in Ignite.

> 5. It looks like Ignite should support the GridGain functionality that we
> use (and much more).

That's right. Everything that was supported in 6.x is available in Ignite.

> Is there anything else worth mentioning that we should note before
> committing to the upgrade. It looks like Java 7 is still supported.

This is also true. Both Java 7 and 8 are supported.