ignite-user mailing list archives

From Andrey Kornev <andrewkor...@hotmail.com>
Subject Cache preloading
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2015 20:28:27 GMT
I'm looking for some expert advice/best practices with regard to cache preloading from the
cache store. Specifically:
1) who triggers cache preload?
    decentralized approach -- each node individually, or
    centralized -- a specific node (for example, the most senior node), or...?
2) when should a preload be triggered?
    as node join the grid (relevant for the decentralized approach), or
    after the topology has been stable for a certain amount of time, or
    manually via a admin console, or...?
3) once preload has completed, how to ensure that I'm not missing any data?

For example, for partitioned caches, the cache loader will only accept data for the partitions
for which it's primary and discard the rest. In this scenario, what is the correct way of
handling node crashes during a preload? Specifically, would the partition-to-node assignment
change if a node crashes while preload is in progress? Also, how can one ensure that the node
gets assigned the same partitions after a restart? What about the situation when the crashed
node is restarted on a different physical box?

Finally, do replicated caches also preload only the node's primary partitions, just as the
partitioned caches do? Or would running a preload on any single node be sufficient?

Thanks
Andrey