ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Gura <ag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lets add measure units for metrics
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2019 13:52:41 GMT
> Yes, we can have measurement units in description, but external tool will
be forced to parse textual representation of units.

We do not know anything about that tools. What kind of units they
support? What kind of actions can be done with measurement on the
external tool side? We can only guess about this. We can't even make
an exhaustive list of units.

So, from my point of view, it is task without formalized requirements.

And moreover, it is useless task because most tools just store and
display named values and provide user defined aggregations over that
values. It doesn't make sense to keeping measurement and transferring
measurement units between servers. Just redundant data and investing
to global warm up :) Units are about metric values interpretation. But
interpretation is out of scope for Ignite.