ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Nikolay Izhikov <nizhi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TDE Master key rotation (Phase-2)
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:16:17 GMT
Hello, Nikita.

> A node creates the ChangeMasterKeyMessage message and sent it by discovery as a custom
event.
> The goal is to verify that all nodes have the same master key.
> The ChangeMasterKeyFinishMessage action message is sent by discovery as a custom event.
> New master key id.

1. We should store locally new key id and new key hash after processing of ChangeMasterKeyMessage
2. We should send new key hash in ChangeMasterKeyFinishMessage
3. We should ensure that both ChangeMasterKeyMessage and ChangeMasterKeyFinishMessage contains
the same key id and key hash before executing a change process.

I think we should rename:

> Node left during key rotation process(was not starting re-encrypt cache keys)

Node was down during key rotation. ChangeMasterKeyRecord was not found.

> Node left during key rotation process(was starting re-encrypt cache keys)

Node was down during key rotation. ChangeMasterKeyRecord found.

We should add a description of changes in the cluster join process.
A node should not try to join to the cluster before the process of ChangeMasterKeyRecord.

It's not clear for me how we differ two cases:

1. ChangeMasterKeyRecord found in WAL and key rotation was finished successfully.
2. ChangeMasterKeyRecord found in WAL and key rotation was NOT finished successfully.

> Meta storage will store master key id.

We should add that key id from metastorage has a higher priority to key id from IgniteConfiguration.

В Пт, 20/09/2019 в 14:06 +0300, Nikita Amelchev пишет:
> Nikolay,
>
> you are right in many ways. I updated the design on the wiki. [1]
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=95652381
>
> пт, 20 сент. 2019 г. в 13:49, Nikolay Izhikov <nizhikov@apache.org>:
> >
> > Nikita
> >
> > > I suggested the implementation where the encryption manager is
> > > responsible for storing the master key id.
> >
> > I don't think it's a right proposal.
> >
> > 1. EncryptionSpi implementation becomes more complicated. Developer of it should
be aware of Ignite deployment scenarious, etc.
> > Imagine implementation when EncryptionSpi send master key id to some external storage
over network(it's happen in Discovery thread)

> > 2. Implementation would be duplicate features(saving master key id)
> >
> > 3. We already store cache keys in metastore. For me it's a native approach to store
master key id in the same place.

> > What do you think?
> >

> > В Пт, 20/09/2019 в 13:39 +0300, Nikita Amelchev пишет:
> > > Nikolay,
> > >
> > > because I suggested the implementation where the encryption manager is
> > > responsible for storing the master key id.
> > > To implement this logic in the EncryptionSpi, we will need to
> > > introduce the methods look like this:
> > >
> > > setMasterKeyId(String masterKeyId) // Sets "current" master key id
> > > String getMasterKeyId() // Gets "current" master key id
> > >
> > > Follow methods will work with master key that setted by previous method:
> > >
> > > byte[] masterKeyDigest()
> > > byte[] encryptKey(Serializable key)
> > > Serializable decryptKey(byte[] key)
> > >
> > > If such implementation is more reasonable, I will do so.

that can be obtained with `KeystoreEncryptionSpi#getMasterKeyName()`?

masterKeyId) - sets master key id.

[1]

EncryptionSPI for each server node".

during node recovery(for the case when key changed while node was down).

String masterKeyId. The

- gets current master key id.