ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Andrey Gura <ag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Ignite 2.8 RELEASE [Time, Scope, Manager]
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2019 13:56:10 GMT
Maxim,

We can't do it because there is no strong rules about the process.

But I have an idea how we can release 2.8 faster (but I still don't
see any reasons for forcing release).

We can create release branch before first IEP-35 related commit and
cherry-pick all commits from master branch to release branch. Note, it
is just idea. In previous post Alexey Zinoviev asked to postpone the
release.

About new big features... I suggest introducing a new process which is
similar to JDK in some aspects: only fully completed feature can be
merged to master. If feature is not ready for release time it should
be moved to the next release.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 8:27 PM Maxim Muzafarov <mmuzaf@apache.org> wrote:

> Andrey,
>
> Agree with you. It can affect the user impression.
>
> Can you advise, how can we guarantee in our case when we complete with
> current partially merged features that someone will not partially
> merge the new one? Should we monitor the master branch commits for
> such purpose?
>
> On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 at 20:18, Andrey Gura <agura@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > Maxim,

> > It is good approach if partial implemented features aren't merged to
> > master branch. Unfortunately this is not our case.
> >
> > I don't see any reasons to force new Apache Ignite release. Time is
> > not driver for release. If we want release Ignite periodically we must
> > significantly review the process. And most valuable change in this
> > process is feature branches that will not block new release by design.

> > > We have too many not resolved tickets under IEP-35 label [1]. Also it
> > > makes sense to do some usability testing: JMX beans interfaces, system
> > > views, etc.
> > >

> > > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20IEP-35

What exactly

Ignite Slack chat

Do we have tickets we

a bit later or earlier, but I'm
stage on holidays (the

New Year holidays at the

or started after 10th January.

Pavlov <dpavlov@apache.org>

committer rights, and most of

member to complete steps from the

 At
creds requires PMC membership.

14:59, Alexey Zinoviev <

the best dates should be moved to

there, but a lot of bugs and minor

manager

2019
2019
2019
2019

в 14:44, Maxim Muzafarov <

passed since the last major Apache

accumulated a lot of performance

which are waiting for their release

most interesting things from my point

affinity,
support (not yet)

longer wait and freeze the master branch

major release by the end of the year.

Time, Scope of Apache Ignite 2.8 release

to be the release manager of the

4, 2019
18, 2019
10, 2019