ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Nikolay Izhikov <nizhi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TDE Master key rotation (Phase-2)
Date Fri, 20 Sep 2019 10:52:48 GMT
Nikita

> I suggested the implementation where the encryption manager is
> responsible for storing the master key id.

I don't think it's a right proposal.

1. EncryptionSpi implementation becomes more complicated. Developer of it should be aware
of Ignite deployment scenarious, etc.
Imagine implementation when EncryptionSpi send master key id to some external storage over
network(it's happen in Discovery thread)

2. Implementation would be duplicate features(saving master key id)

3. We already store cache keys in metastore. For me it's a native approach to store master
key id in the same place.

What do you think?

В Пт, 20/09/2019 в 13:39 +0300, Nikita Amelchev пишет:
> Nikolay,
>
> because I suggested the implementation where the encryption manager is
> responsible for storing the master key id.
> To implement this logic in the EncryptionSpi, we will need to
> introduce the methods look like this:
>
> setMasterKeyId(String masterKeyId) // Sets "current" master key id
> String getMasterKeyId() // Gets "current" master key id
>
> Follow methods will work with master key that setted by previous method:
>
> byte[] masterKeyDigest()
> byte[] encryptKey(Serializable key)
> Serializable decryptKey(byte[] key)
>
> If such implementation is more reasonable, I will do so.
>
> пт, 20 сент. 2019 г. в 13:04, Nikolay Izhikov <nizhikov@apache.org>:
> >
> > Why do we need "defaultMasterKeyId" instead of *current* master key id that can
be obtained with `KeystoreEncryptionSpi#getMasterKeyName()`?

> > В Пт, 20/09/2019 в 12:56 +0300, Nikita Amelchev пишет:
> > > Nikolay,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the proposal, I like it.
> > >
> > > The GridEncryptionManager will control the process of master key
> > > rotation, so we should provide him master key id at startup. Seems we
> > > should get it from some configuration for encryption.
> > >
> > > I suggest just adding the String defaultMasterKeyId() method into the
> > > EncryptionSpi interface. This method gets default master key id used
> > > on first cluster start.
> > >
> > > The specific implementation will be responsible for setting this value.
> > >
> > > What do you think?

- sets master key id.

recovery(for the case when key changed while node was down).

[2]

The

JMX, CLI:
- starts