ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Pavlov <dpav...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replacing default work dir from tmp to current dir
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2019 12:17:25 GMT
Hi Igniters,

I agree that user home maybe not the best place from Linux perspective and
philosophy, but  "user.home"/ignite/work  is more or less portable.

For the Linux environment, we can add a suggestion about where to place
persisted data. For very first testing of Apache Ignite user home still
looks good for me.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

вт, 27 авг. 2019 г. в 11:56, Pavel Pereslegin <xxtern@gmail.com>:

> Or instead of a WARNING, we can add a suggestion with a recommendation
> for the production environment.
>
> вт, 27 авг. 2019 г. в 11:41, Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com>:
> >
> > /opt is either does not exist on fresh system, or has the same
> restriction: no user access without admin intervention.
> > /usr/local, /var/lib, etc. — all this is implemented in our DEB / RPM
> packages already.
> >
> > For ZIP installation %HOME% seems to be the best approach for "2-click"
> launch.
> > Later user can update preferences and set working dir to whatever
> directory he would like.
> >
> > Also — we can put WARNING message to log noting that WORK_DIR is set to
> default.
> >
> > > On 27 Aug 2019, at 10:16, Zhenya Stanilovsky
> <arzamas123@mail.ru.INVALID> wrote:
> > >

> > > And what about /opt/ignite ?
> > >
> > > copy-paste:
> > > "
> > > The basic difference is that  /usr/local  is for software not managed
> by the system packager, but still following the standard unix deployment
> rules.
> > > That's why you have  /usr/local/bin ,  /usr/local/sbin
>  /usr/local/include  etc...
> > > /opt  on the other hand is for software that doesn't follow this and
> is deployed in a monolithic fashion. This usually includes commercial
> and/or cross-platform software that is packaged in the "Windows" style. "

Magda <