ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Rakov <ivan.glu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing default work dir from tmp to current dir
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:37:11 GMT
Hi Anton,

Actually, the issue is even more unpleasant.

Official Ignite documentation says that it's possible to configure path
where your persistence files will be stored:
https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/distributed-persistent-store
However, even if you have set all path options (storage, WAL, WAL
archive), Ignite will still store crucial metadata in resolved work
directory (java.io.tmpdir by default). Example is binary metadata files,
absence of which can make your data unavailable.

I propose to fail Ignite node in case neither IGNITE_HOME nor
IgniteConfiguration#igniteWorkDir is set. It's better to let user know
about missing configuration options during startup than let OS corrupt
storage by cleaning temp dirs.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,
Ivan Rakov

On 12.08.2019 18:10, Anton Kalashnikov wrote:
> Hello, Igniters.
>
> Currently, in the case, when work directory wasn't set by user ignite can resolve it
to tmp directory which leads to some problem - tmp directory can be cleared at some unexpected
moment by operation system and different types of critical data would be lost(ex. binary_meta,
persistance data).

> Looks like it is not expected behaviour and maybe it is better instead of tmp directory
use the current working directory("user.dir")? Or any other idea?