ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Pavlov <dpav...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clean up of our PRs and IEPs before 2019
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2019 08:22:03 GMT
Hi Ivan,

Thank you for bumping this topic.

I consider PRs for resolved or closed tickets are obsolete and I close it
from time to time.

TC Bot shows which PRs related to closed and resolved, so it is possible to
enter your GitHub ID at PRs page and see which PRs are not needed.

Also, committers could close PRs opened by other contributors.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

чт, 25 июл. 2019 г. в 09:12, Павлухин Иван <vololo100@gmail.com>:

> Igniters,
>
>  I would like to resume a discussion about PRs cleanup. Additionally
> to concerns provided earlier some TC Bot operations are slowed down
> due to a huge amount of open PRs.
>
> As time has passed, I ask you all again to share an opinion about
> centralized cleanup of obsolete PRs. Also, a precise criteria to
> consider PR as obsolete is a subject for dicsussion as well.
>
> чт, 13 дек. 2018 г. в 11:55, Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com>:
> >

> > > On 11 Dec 2018, at 10:10, Nikolay Izhikov <nizhikov@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello, Ivan.
> > >
> > > Personally, I keep my PR's clear.
> > > So, I don't have dozens of opened PR.
> > >
> > > But, I don't support Dmitriy proposal for several reasons:
> > >
> > > 1. We introduce some new, not required, level of bureaucracy.
> > > From my experience - not required bureaucracy is a BAD thing.
> > >
> > > 2. We spread our work pattern to whole community.
> > > I believe there are many patterns of dealing with *YOUR OWN* PRs.
> > > Some of them can lead to dozens of opened PRs to master.
> > > Whats wrong with it?
> > >
> > > 3. I dont' see any issues with many opened PRs.
> > > What problem we trying to solve?
> >
> > But I see.
> > Lots of opened PRs (and obsolete branches as well) consumes huge amount
> of data and time when TC performs changes detect operations (every minute,
> BTW).
> > Also, IMO, ORDER is not an unnecessary level of bureaucracy, but part of
> the project development workflow in area of cleaning up and keeping
> everything fresh and actual.
> >

> > > 4. Closing abanodned PRs doesn't force anybody to review the rest.
> > > Instead of ordering something to one way or another, let's solve real
> problem:
> > >
> > >       - help the community doing PR review.
> > >       - fixing failing tests.
> > >       - introducing new code inspections to make our code base clear.
> > >       - making Ignite improvements
> > >
> > > 5. I don't see how our numbers differs from other Apache projects
> > >
> > > Apache Kafka - 533 PR opened.
> > > Apache Spark - 484 PR opened.
> > > Apache Flink - 430 PR opened.

> order.