ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Rakov <ivan.glu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lightweight version of partitions map exchange
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:40:42 GMT
Hi Nikita,

I've checked out your branch, looked through the changes and run
IgniteBaselineNodeLeaveExchangeTest. Some thoughts:

1. First of all, there's fundamental issue that backup and primary
partitions behave differently:
- On primary, updating transaction needs to own exclusive lock (be on
top of GridCacheMapEntry#localCandidates queue) on key object for the
whole prepare-commit cycle. That's how two-phase commit works in Ignite.
- Primary node generates update counter via
PartitionTxUpdateCounterImpl#reserve, while backup receives update and
just applies it with provided counter.
So, if we'll perform PME in non-distributed way, we'll lose
happen-before guarantees between updates of transactions mapped on
previous topology and ones that are mapped to new topology. This may
cause the following issues:
- New primary node may start behaving as primary (spawn DHT transaction
instances and acquire exclusive locks) but still may receive updates
from previous primary. I don't know how to handle these updates
correctly as they may conflict with new updates and locks.
- New primary node should start generating update counters, but it
actually doesn't know last update counter in cluster. If it
optimistically will start from last known counter, partition consistency
may break in case updates with actual last update counter will arrive (I
guess, this issue should be reproduced as LWM > HWM assertion error).

2. According to current state of your test, testBltServerLeaveUnderLoad
is called only with PickKeyOption#NO_DATA_ON_LEAVING_NODE (which means
backups that are promoted to primaries without global synchronization
are not affected by transactional load). However, it still fails with
LWM > HWM assertion. I guess, there are another details in new partition
counters implementation that require global happen-before between
updates of transactions that are mapped to different topology versions.

Alex S,

> backups that are promoted to primaries without global synchronization
> are not affected by transactional load
> test still fails with LWM > HWM assertion
Do you have any ideas why this may happen?
> New primary node should start generating update counters, but it
> actually doesn't know last update counter in cluster. If it
> optimistically will start from last known counter, partition
> consistency may break in case updates with actual last update counter
> will arrive (I guess, this issue should be reproduced as LWM > HWM
> assertion error).
How do you think, does this problem looks solvable?

Alex S and Alex G,
> New primary node may start behaving as primary (spawn DHT transaction
> instances and acquire exclusive locks) but still may receive updates
> from previous primary. I don't know how to handle these updates
> correctly as they may conflict with new updates and locks.

How do you think, can we overcome this limitation with our existing
implementation of transactions?

Best Regards,
Ivan Rakov

On 01.07.2019 11:13, Nikita Amelchev wrote:
> [...]
>> Maksim,
>>
>> I agree with you that we should implement current issue and do not
>> allow lightweight PME if there are MOVING partitions in the cluster.
>>
>> But now I'm investigating issue about finalizing update counters cause
>> it assumes that finalizing happens on exchange and all cache updates
>> are completed. Here we can wrong process update counters gaps and
>> break recently merged IGNITE-10078.
>>
>> And about phase 2, correct me if I misunderstood you.
>> You suggest do not move primary partitions on rebalancing completing
>> (do not change affinity assignment)? In this case, nodes recently join
>> to cluster will not have primary partitions and won't get a load after
>> rebalancing.
>>
>> чт, 30 мая 2019 г. в 19:55, Maxim Muzafarov <maxmuzaf@gmail.com>:
>>> Igniters,
>>>

>>> I've looked through Nikita's changes and I think for the current issue
>>> [1] we should not allow the existence of MOVING partitions in the
>>> cluster (it must be stable) to run the lightweight PME on BLT node
>>> leave event occurred to achieve truly unlocked operations and here are
>>> my thoughts why.
>>>
>>> In general, as Nikita mentioned above, the existence of MOVING
>>> partitions in the cluster means that the rebalance procedure is
>>> currently running. It owns cache partitions locally and sends in the
>>> background (with additional timeout) the actual statuses of his local
>>> partitions to the coordinator node. So, we will always have a lag
>>> between local node partition states and all other cluster nodes
>>> partitions states. This lag can be very huge since previous
>>> #scheduleResendPartitions() is cancelled when a new cache group
>>> rebalance finished. Without the fair partition states synchronization
>>> (without full PME) and in case of local affinity recalculation on BLT
>>> node leave event, other nodes will mark such partitions LOST in most
>>> of the cases, which in fact are present in the cluster and saved on
>>> some node under checkpoint. I see that it cannot be solved by saving
>>> transition states of such partitions on each node.
>>>
>>> As for the case when the coordinator will calculate affinity and send
>>> "full map" to other nodes, I think it is better here to focus on
>>> designing a new lightweight PME when the rebalancing process finishes.
>>> Сurrently full distributed PME will occur anyway by the coordinator by
>>> sending CacheAffinityChaneMessage, but I think we can avoid it here,
>>> since no new MOVING or OWNING node partition states are introduced and
>>> all the previous mappings are still valid. We don't need a distributed
>>> PME if we will leave partition primaries on those nodes where they
>>> were, just set correct partition statuses via a light discovery
>>> message.
>>>
>>> So, my plan here can be:
>>> Phase 1. Lightweight PME on BLT node leave on a stable cluster (no
>>> MOVING partitions);
>>> Phase 2. Lightweight PME on BLT node finishes its rebalance procedure.

PME.

PME duration