ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Pavlov <dpav...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Mirroring Teamcity settings in a GitHub repository
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 18:07:20 GMT
Hi Igniters,

During preparing of the release I've faced with lack of information related
to required steps. This was one reason of too long release preparation.
This process was automated by several Ignite contributors (thank you, BTW).
Now, these valued automation results are more or less stored using TeamCity
settings at ci.ignite.apache.org.

First of all, changes done in these steps before were not always
consistent. The TC's built-in audit wasn't useful, because there were tons
of changes. So it is not clear who and why changed something.

Secondly, Ignite release is performed outside of ASF infrastructure. It is
not a problem itself (and we're grateful to GridGain to sponsoring
infrastructure). But I believe knowledge about release should be backed up
somehow inside of ASF infra.

The last issue related not to release, but to our test suites. It is now
about 90 suites, which may have different settings. There is no easy and
clear way to grep, check consistency, check possible options we've used.

So let's consider 2 possible options to solve these issues.

Option A: store settings in VCS
https://www.jetbrains.com/help/teamcity/2019.1/storing-project-settings-in-version-control.html

Option B: use DSL
https://www.jetbrains.com/help/teamcity/2019.1/storing-project-settings-in-version-control.html

Please share your vision.

Sincerely,
Dmitriy Pavlov

PS. to see how DSL can look like you can use
https://ci.ignite.apache.org/admin/editBuild.html?id=buildType:Releases_ApacheIgniteMain_ReleaseBuild

and click view DSL.