ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Maxim Muzafarov <maxmu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code inspection
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2019 17:04:14 GMT
Igniters,

I've found that some of the community members have faced with
`[Inspections] Core suite [1]` is not working well enough on TC. The
suite has a `FAILED` status for more than 2 months due to some issues
in TeamCity application [2]. Current suite behaviour confuses not only
new contributors but also other community members. Moreover, this
suite is no longer checks rules we previously configured. For
instance, in the master branch, I've found 11 `Unused imports` which
should have been caught earlier (e.g. for
{{IgniteCachePutAllRestartTest} [3]).

I think we should make the next step to enable an automatic code style
checks. As an example, we can consider the Apache Kafka code style [5]
way and configure for the Ignite project a maven-checkstyle-plugin
with its own maven profile and run it simultaneously with other TC. We
can also enable the previously configured inspection rules, so no
coding style violations will be missed.

I see some advantages of using a maven plugin:
- an IDE agnostic way for code checks
- can be used with different CI and build tools (Jenkins, TC)
- executable from the command line
- the entry single point to configure new rules

I've created the ticket [4] and will prepare PR for it.

WDYT?

[1] https://ci.ignite.apache.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=IgniteTests24Java8_InspectionsCore&branch_IgniteTests24Java8=%3Cdefault%3E&tab=buildTypeStatusDiv
[2] https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/TW-58504
[3]https://github.com/apache/ignite/blob/master/modules/core/src/test/java/org/apache/ignite/internal/processors/cache/IgniteCachePutAllRestartTest.java#L29