ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Stanislav Lukyanov <stanlukya...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: ipFinder configuration for Samples
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2019 11:31:02 GMT
Yakov,

Our product is for engineers sitting in one office.
Companies which use Ignite have many engineers running Ignite on their laptops the same way
as companies that make changes to Ignite.
 “Could it be because of the multicast?” is one of the questions I ask every time I see
a question on SO
or user list, and I would be happy not to.

The activity of changing the examples from multicast to local addresses was started and stopped
multiple times,
but AFAIR most of the community was in favor of this change.

Moreover, our default configuration (when discoSpi is not set– such as in default-config.xml)
uses multicast. I’d change that to a localhost VmIPFinder.

If we want an easy start of the examples (even though I think each user would want to use
examples with multicast
exactly once, if ever) let’s add multiple configs or a switch to ignite.sh. I believe it’s
better than showing multicast as default.

Regarding the address list – AFAIR Ignite tries to scan the multicast group first. Only
after that it
will try to connect to addresses from the list. So, the list is a bit misleading.

Finally, if Hazelcast uses multicast by default – well, probably they should turn that off
as well.

My 2 cents,
Stan