ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Historical rebalance
Date Mon, 03 Dec 2018 11:43:14 GMT
Roman,

What is the advantage of your algorithm compared to previous one? Previous
algorithm does almost the same, but without updating two separate counters,
and looks simpler to me. Only one update is sufficient - at transaction
commit. When transaction starts we just read currently active update
counter (LWM), which is enough for us to know where to start from.
Moreover, we do not need to learn any kind of WAL pointers and write
additional WAL records.

Please note that we are trying to solve more difficult problem - how to
rebalance as less WAL as possible in case of long-running transactions.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 2:29 PM Roman Kondakov <kondakov87@mail.ru.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> Demander sends LWM to supplier.
> >>
> >> 2. Supplier finds the earliest checkpoint where HWM(supplier) <= LWM
> >> (demander)
> >>
> >> 3. Supplier starts moving forward on WAL until it finds first data
> >> record with HWM id = LWM (demander). From this point WAL can be
> >> rebalanced to demander.
> >>
> >> In this approach updates and checkpoints on primary and backup can be
> >> reordered in any way, but we can always find a proper point to read WAL
> >> from.
> >>
> >> Let's consider a couple of examples. In this examples transaction
> >> updates marked as w1(a) - transaction 1 updates key=a, c1 - transaction
> >> 1 is committed, cp(1, 0) - checkpoint with HWM=1 and  LWM=0. (HWM,LWM) -
> >> current counters after operation. (HWM,LWM[hole1, hole2]) - counters
> >> with holes in LWM.
> >>

> >> 1. Simple case with no reordering:
> >>
> >> PRIMARY
> >>
> -----w1(a)---cp(1,0)---w2(b)----w1(c)--------------c1--------c2-----cp(2,2)
> >> (HWM,LWM)    (1,0)             (2,0)    (2,0)             (2,1)
>  (2,2)
> >>                 |                  |        |                 |        |
> >> BACKUP
> >>
> ------w1(a)-------------w2(b)----w1(c)---cp(2,0)----c1--------c2-----cp(2,2)
> >> (HWM,LWM)    (1,0)             (2,0)    (2,0)             (2,1)
>  (2,2)
> >>

> >> In this case if backup failed before c1 it will receive all updates from
> >> the beginning (HWM=0).
> >> If it fails between c1 and c2, it will receive WAL from primary's
> cp(1,0),
> >> because tx with id=1 is fully processed on backup: HWM(supplier
> cp(1,0))=1
> >> == LWM(demander)=1
> >> if backup fails after c2, it will receive nothing because it has all
> >> updates HWM(supplier)=2 == LWM(demander)=2
> >>

> >> 2. Case with reordering
> >>
> >> PRIMARY
> >>
> -----w1(a)---cp(1,0)---w2(b)------cp(2,0)----------w1(c)------c1-----c2-----------cp(2,2)
> >> (HWM,LWM)    (1,0)             (2,0)                       (2,0)
> >>   (2,1)  (2,2)
> >>                   \_____           |                           |
> >> \   |
> >>                         \_______   |                           |
> >>   \__|_______
> >>                                 \__|______                     |
> >>    |       \
> >>                                    |      \                    |
> >>    |        \
> >> BACKUP
> >>
> -------------------------w2(b)---w1(a)----cp(2,0)---w1(c)------------c2-------c1-----cp(2,2)
> >> (HWM,LWM)                       (2,0)   (2,0)              (2,0)
> >> (2,0[2])  (2,2)
> >>

> >> Note here we have a hole on backup when tx2 has committed earlier than
> tx1
> >> and LWM wasn't changed at this moment.
> >>
> >> In last case if backup is failed before c1, the entire WAL will be
> >> supplied because LWM=0 until this moment.
> >> If backup fails after c1 - there is nothing to rebalance, because

HB
> >> edges.
> >> are

> >> commits