ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vyacheslav Daradur <daradu...@gmail.com>
Subject How to free up space on disc after removing entries from IgniteCache with enabled PDS?
Date Fri, 28 Dec 2018 12:57:35 GMT
Igniters, we have faced with the following problem on one of our deployments.

Let's imagine that we have used IgniteCache with enabled PDS during the time:
- hardware disc space has been occupied during growing up of an amount
of data, e.g. 100Gb;
- then, we removed non-actual data, e.g 50Gb, which became useless for us;
- disc space stopped growing up with new data, but it was not
released, and still took 100Gb, instead of expected 50Gb;

Another use case:
- a user extracts data from IgniteCache to store it in separate
IgniteCache or another store;
- disc still is occupied and the user is not able to store data in the
different cache at the same cluster because of disc limitation;

How can we help the user to free up the disc space, if an amount of
data in IgniteCache has been reduced many times and will not be
increased in the nearest future?

AFAIK, we have mechanics of reusing memory pages, that allows us to
use pages which have been allocated and stored removed data for
storing new data.
Are there any chances to shrink data and free up space on disc (with
defragmentation if possible)?

--
Best Regards, Vyacheslav D.