ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Update our C++ library to C++11 standard
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2018 07:28:16 GMT
Igniters,

Over time we were very conservative about language levels for our libraries
to be able to target wider platforms. But it looks like some of them are
way too old, what doing more harm than good.

For C++ we still use C++03 standard, which 15 years old. C++11, C++15 and
C++17 were released since then. I propose to plan upgrade to C++11 version
at least. May be event C++15. Major improvements in C++11:

1) Standard threading model - we will be able to remove a lot
platform-dependent code (atomics, shared pointers, etc)
2) Rvalues - most probably we will be able to benefit from move semantics
in terms of both performance and cleaner API
3) Lambdas - this needs to be investigated, but may be we will be able to
integrate them into our compute API.

If agreed we should plan it to AI 3.0 release, since this is a breaking
change.

What do you think?

Vladimir.