ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] The process of creating an Ignite Enhancement Proposal
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2018 17:39:50 GMT
Maxim,

I am not quite understand what is the problem with "many major enhancements
per IEP" and terms such as "optimization" or so. The very goal of initial
IEP process was to accumulate global ideas, so that one may quickly
understand potentially hot areas around the product. This is about
informing community, not about planning and linking to release notes.

Next, I fully agree that it is very good to have isolated IEP describing a
single major change. However, please note that a lot of IEPs start as
research activities. During this time we do not know what correct solution
is, how many major changes would be needed, how many components will be
affected, and how many tickets will be filed. All of this can change
drastically during IEP lifetime. Which looks perfectly fine for me - we
know what to improve, but do not know yet how exactly. If it is about real
implementation or planning you can always create umbrella ticket or so.
Moreover, it is also OK for IEPs to span multiple releases, e.g. this is
how we do this with TDE - huge change, multiple phases, multiple releases.

About names - again, ideally they should be concrete and non ambiguous. But
currently most of immediate product goals are around stabilization and
performance. This is really where we are. So if I, for example,
investigated a set of potential optimizations in area X, why can't I name
it "Optimize X"? If someone else will find more optimizations in the same
are while the first IEP is still active, he can join this IEP. If he find
them after first IEP is completed, then he can name it "Optimize X part 2",
while "Optimize X" will be in archive directory. So who really cares?

I do not see how enforcing any strict rules could help us here.

+1 for the rest.