ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Melnichuk <dmitry.melnic...@nobitlost.com>
Subject Re: Python thin client
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2018 17:54:57 GMT
Dmitriy,

It would be quite messy to implement with Python modular system.

First of all, Python 2 and Python 3 are different languages with a small
common subset of syntax rules. That's why what we see in a stack trace
is a syntax error, and not a “missing feature” error.

Second, there is no single entry point in Python code. User is allowed
to import any name, from any module, in any order. In fact the module is
run when it first discovered by CPython during any `import` operation,
and that is how the imported entities are created and initialized: by
the chain of imports.

It means for us, that implementing even a simple compatibility message
in Python 2 requires any module in our program (or at least all the
modules, that represent the public API of our library) to consist
entirely of a valid Python 2 code.

It can be achieved by writing stubs with a version check, putting said
stubs in place of real modules, and proxying all the calls through the
conditional imports. It would take a small effort once, but make code
less readable and harder to maintain for the rest of its life cycle.
Should we, for example, provide two testing environments − for the main
program and for Python 2-compatible stubs?

As far as I know, no Python developer is making such efforts nowadays.
There are some projects with a long history, that achieve
2/3-compatibility through the use of restricted syntax and external
packages like `six`, or simply support two separate versions. Most of
the new projects are creating with the latest Python 3, pip and
virtualenv in mind.

I took the idea of my `setup.py` solution from the Django project, which
is dropped Python 2 support not long ago. Its setup relies on
`setuptools` 9+ option, or otherwise displays a simple banner; the
banner is likely to be buried under the further cryptic output of old
setuptools, but it is better than nothing.