ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: memory-only mode for Ignite indexes
Date Mon, 07 May 2018 14:20:34 GMT
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 2:09 AM, Vladimir Ozerov <vozerov@gridgain.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dima,
>
> Update with indexes would definitely be slower than update without them.
> The question is how much slower. For now the slowdown comes mostly from
> excessive data page reads ([1] and [2] in my previous email) leading to
> page evictions and additional IO. To the contrast, usually only a single
> page write is needed to update an index. Correct index implementation ([1]
> and [2] from previous email) would eliminate data page reads altogether and
> should give dramatic speedup.

Sounds great. The changes you are suggesting should give us a great
performance boost. Hopefully they should not take too long to implement.

Regardless, once you are done, we should still perform a benchmark with
persistence indexes vs memory-only indexes. If memory-only will be more
than 20% faster, we should still implement it.

D.