ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Schoreels <jonathan.schore...@gmail.com>
Subject Suggestion about Docker Swarm Services and Scaling Ignite automatically
Date Sun, 06 May 2018 18:44:06 GMT
Hello everyone,

As adviced by @dsetrakyan, I would like to post one simple suggestion about
Ignite and deployment, in particular container one's like docker. Docker
Swarm allows to simply scale a service by setting the "replicas" parameter
to a positive Integer. However, for lot of clustered applications, this
isn't often well supported.

For example, in this discussion
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48261239/running-ignite-on-swarm-cluster,
we can see that Multicast isn't allowed in an overlay network in Docker,
which is confirmed here : https://github.com/docker/libnetwork/issues/552.

In the end, it looks like a limitations of Docker more than a limitation of
ignite. However, I'm still posting this in cases of you have ideas on how to
workaround this, or even implements an autodiscovery between ignite nodes
with this limitation. The only solution found right now is to define a a
single "ignite-master" service and a set of replicas in "ignite" services,
which would point to this ignite-master. But we have a single point of
failure for deployment.

Any ideas, suggestions, or even better, support for docker services ?

Thank you,

Jonathan