ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Data eviction/expiration from Ignite persistence
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2018 21:35:03 GMT
On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:

> > Agree with AG. There is a difference between expiration and eviction. If
> an
> > entry is expired, then it should be removed from the store, regardless if
> > it is in memory or on disk.
>

> Well, then it works this way now depending on a memory configuration:
>
>    - memory only mode: expired entry removed from memory storage
>    - memory + Ignite persistence: expired entry removed from both memory
>    and disk tiers
>    - memory + 3rd party: expired entry is removed from the memory storage
>    only.

I think it works correctly. Whenever Ignite is configured with a 3rd party
database, entries are usually expired from memory exactly because the
database may have a more recent value. This way, the more recent value will
be reloaded form database on next access.

> Let me know if I'm wrong somewhere. Otherwise, I'll improve the docs to
> bring more clarity.

I believe you are correct.

> > However, evicting from memory because there is not enough space does not
> remove an entry from the store.
>

> That was another topic of the discussion. How can we support the *eviction*
> from disk (by using a particular configuration parameter)?

I do not think we need to evict from disk. None of the other databases
support it, and I do not think it is a required feature. Also, it will be
hard to implement in my view.