ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Petr Ivanov <mr.wei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Ignite RPM packaging (Stage II)
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2018 12:10:59 GMT
Hi, Igniters!

Here are some news on our RPM packages initiative.

1. I’ve finished preliminary developing of Stage II version of RPM packages [1]. Main “new
feature” is — split design. Also I’ve added package.sh script for automating package
building process which will help organise corresponding builds in TC as well as simplify process
for developers who wishes to have custom packages.
PR#3703 [2] is ready for review. Denis, in order to catch up with Apache Ignite 2.5 release,
I’d greatly appreciate your help in finding reviewer.
2. With the help of ASF INFRA team, we now have RPM [3] and DEB [4] repositories on Apache
Bintray. Though they are already prepared for hosting RPM and DEB packages respectively, and
there is a way of linking them to apache.org/dist/ignite page, there is possible alternative
in storing there only plain directory layout corresponding to each repository type (RPM and
DEB) and manage this layout (repodata, distributions, versions, etc.) by ourselves, having
more control over repositories but lacking some simplicity of deploying new releases. WDYT?
Should we try Cassandra approach? They are storing their DEB packages as I described above
[5].

Also — a question arose while I was working on this issue: which OSes (and which versions
of each) are we going to support (if we are going) in terms of step-by-step list? Currently
RPM packages are tested only with latest CentOS (and, respectively — RHEL), but there are
a lot more RPM-based distributives [6] some of which are more o less popular among OS community
(ALT, Fedora, openSUSE, etc.).

[2] https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/3703
[3] https://bintray.com/apache/ignite-rpm
[4] https://bintray.com/apache/ignite-deb
[5] https://bintray.com/apache/cassandra/debian#files/
[6] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:RPM-based_Linux_distributions

> On 15 Mar 2018, at 22:15, Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I suppose that most everything if not all from libs/options will go to OPTIONAL (I’d
call it simply ‘apache-ignite-libs').
> More precise lib selection (if something from optional would better to have in core package)
will be discussed right after preliminary split architecture agreement.

>> On 15 Mar 2018, at 22:11, Dmitry Pavlov <dpavlov.spb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I like idea of keeping simple system of modules, so +1 from me.
>>
>> Where optional libs (e.g Direct IO plugin) would be included, would it be
>> core or optional?

>>> Guys, 30 vs 280M is a huuuuge difference.  I would agree with Petr and
>>> propose the simplest modular system:
>>>
>>>  - core module that includes basic Ignite capabilities including SQL,
>>>  compute grid, service grid, k/v
>>>  - optional module hosts the rest - ML, streamers integration (kafka,
>>>  flink), kubernetes, etc.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> --

>>> (its