ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time and scope for Apache Ignite 2.4
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2017 20:22:56 GMT
Hi Peter,

Sorry for confusion, yes, I meant using Java 8 by default in Ignite. Labeled the Java 8 ticket
with “important” and now it appears in the required tickets list:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4#ApacheIgnite2.4-RequiredTickets

As I see Yuri reviewed the ticket from ML perspective:
https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/3240 <https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/3240>

Do you guys collaborate together making sure the ML build process simplified? Do we need to
create a sub-task of [1] to make sure it’s not missed?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7203 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-7203>

—
Denis

> On Dec 20, 2017, at 12:29 AM, Petr Ivanov <mr.weider@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Denis!
>

> What about switching to Java 8 by default? [1]
> I guess this task is inseparably connected to Java 7 support drop and Java 9 support
introducing.

>> On 19 Dec 2017, at 23:07, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Igniters,
>>
>> It’s time to sync up on the progress of IMPORTANT tasks for 2.4:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4#ApacheIgnite2.4-RequiredTickets
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4#ApacheIgnite2.4-RequiredTickets>

>> How good are we if to assume 5th of Jan as a code freeze date? Please comment:
>> - Nikolay Izhikov: Data Frames.
>> - Sergey Kalashnikov, Vladimir Ozerov: DDL and SQL features from the list.
>> - Andrey Kuznetsov, Alexandr Fedotov: memory metrics tasks.
>> - Yuri: Machine Learning + neural networks
>> - Vladimir Ozerov: Java 9 and Java 7
>> - Sergey Kozlov: SQL scope testing
>> - etc.: please check the link with the features.
>>
>> —
>> Denis
>>> On Dec 4, 2017, at 1:11 PM, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Igniters,
>>>
>>> Basing on the amount of improvements, fixes and features stacked in the master
branch I think it’s a right time to negotiate the scope and time of the next Apache Ignite
2.4 release. I’m ready to step in as a release manager if none of the committers wants to
try on this role.

>>> Here is a release page:
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4>
>>>
>>> Proposed time date: Jan 5 - code freeze -> stabilization and testing ->
Jan 24 - voting -> Jan 31 release.

>>> In my view improvements such Java 9 support and Java 7 discontinuation, memory
metrics in bytes [1], binary client protocol, etc. needs to get into the release. All the
features like that are labeled “important” in JIRA. Use this label if you are convinced
a task has to be release in 2.4.

>>> What’s about machine learning, bulk loading [2], internals problems resolution
[3], metrics [4] related tasks? What goes in 2.4 and what’s shifted?

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-1:+Bulk+data+loading+performance+improvements>
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-7:+Ignite+internal+problems+detection>
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-6:+Metrics+improvements>