ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Petr Ivanov <mr.wei...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Time and scope for Apache Ignite 2.4
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2017 08:29:38 GMT
Hi, Denis!

What about switching to Java 8 by default? [1]
I guess this task is inseparably connected to Java 7 support drop and Java 9 support introducing.

> On 19 Dec 2017, at 23:07, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Igniters,
>
> It’s time to sync up on the progress of IMPORTANT tasks for 2.4:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4#ApacheIgnite2.4-RequiredTickets
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4#ApacheIgnite2.4-RequiredTickets>

> How good are we if to assume 5th of Jan as a code freeze date? Please comment:
> - Nikolay Izhikov: Data Frames.
> - Sergey Kalashnikov, Vladimir Ozerov: DDL and SQL features from the list.
> - Andrey Kuznetsov, Alexandr Fedotov: memory metrics tasks.
> - Yuri: Machine Learning + neural networks
> - Vladimir Ozerov: Java 9 and Java 7
> - Sergey Kozlov: SQL scope testing
> - etc.: please check the link with the features.
>
> —
> Denis
>> On Dec 4, 2017, at 1:11 PM, Denis Magda <dmagda@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Igniters,
>>
>> Basing on the amount of improvements, fixes and features stacked in the master branch
I think it’s a right time to negotiate the scope and time of the next Apache Ignite 2.4
release. I’m ready to step in as a release manager if none of the committers wants to try
on this role.

>> Here is a release page:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Apache+Ignite+2.4>
>>
>> Proposed time date: Jan 5 - code freeze -> stabilization and testing -> Jan
24 - voting -> Jan 31 release.

>> In my view improvements such Java 9 support and Java 7 discontinuation, memory metrics
in bytes [1], binary client protocol, etc. needs to get into the release. All the features
like that are labeled “important” in JIRA. Use this label if you are convinced a task
has to be release in 2.4.

>> What’s about machine learning, bulk loading [2], internals problems resolution
[3], metrics [4] related tasks? What goes in 2.4 and what’s shifted?

<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-1:+Bulk+data+loading+performance+improvements>
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-7:+Ignite+internal+problems+detection>
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/IEP-6:+Metrics+improvements>