ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Pavel Tupitsyn <ptupit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Let's keep Apache Ignite docs up-to-date
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 07:08:12 GMT
Denis,

> Could you show me any example of such a documentation where docs are
stored in git and can be visualized by GitHub (dev stage) and 3rd party
engine (release on the site)?

1) Apache Spark
Source: https://github.com/apache/spark/tree/master/docs
Docs: https://spark.apache.org/documentation.html
(uses Jekyll)

2) Microsoft .NET
Source: https://github.com/dotnet/docs
Docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/
(uses DocFX)

Both of these engines (Jekyll and DocFX) use markdown, which can be
visualized by github, and converted to HTML for the web site.
Markdown can also be visualized by many IDEs, so it is easy to edit locally.

Ideally, API docs (javadoc) should be integrated with the rest of the docs,
so users can navigate to the corresponding APIs.
This can't be achieved nicely with readme.io.

> having docs under separate git repository
I don't think we need a separate repo, we can just create branches in our
main repo for that.
It is nice to have everything in one place.