ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fair affinity resurrection with baseline topology
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2017 22:46:06 GMT
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Alexei Scherbakov <
alexey.scherbakoff@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> In fact, after implementing this, we will no longer need rendezvous
> affinity.
>
> Why do we need other affinity if we already provided ideal assignment to
> user ?

Because rendezvous is completely stateless and fair affinity requires
maintaining state between topology changes. I would keep both.

> I suggest hiding affinity function from public API and make available
> publicly only things like partition count and backup filter, because
> implementing correct affinity function is error prone and rarely needed.

But what if you do to provide custom partition assignment? Some complex use
cases do require it.

> It's even be possible to store/calculate single partition map for all
> caches if they share same partition count.

Don't we already do that with cache groups?