ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Set gitter aside
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:52:47 GMT
I share the same opinion as Konstantin.

Gitter/slack/whatever is a good communication channel for contributors and committers who
*work together* on a specific functionality or component and want to discuss things faster.

As for general user or dev questions they should be directed to the mailing lists directly
since all we are volunteers here and will reply depending on personal availability.

Finally, the ASF board raised a reasonable question on how do we ensure that people get a
response, who keeps an eye on the channel…

So, as a first step I would remove all the references to the channel on Ignite site unless
we have individuals here who track it.

—
Denis

> On Oct 26, 2017, at 7:11 AM, Konstantin Dudkov <kdudkov@ya.ru> wrote:
>
> Igniters,
>
> Last months there are a lot of questions in userlist and gitter and answering that questions
I found gitter completely inappropriate for user support:

> - there are no threads there, so it's hard to track discussion or see unanswered questions
> - when somebody post stacktrace or code snippet all message list scrolls far up, hiding
> - many questions that need more than simple answer or some kind of discussion are moved
to anyway
> - using gitter people are waiting for fast answer, that is not always possible (timezones,
etc.)

> I think it is better to remove link to gitter from all our sites/manuals and to focus
on answering in userlist and StackOverflow only.