ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Rakov <ivan.glu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Persistence per memory policy configuration
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2017 11:41:29 GMT
Denis,

1) You're right. I forgot to include the main flag in
DataRegionConfiguration - *isPersistenceEnabled*. Persistence will be
enabled globally if at least one memory region has this flag set.
Regarding default data region, I've added
*isDefaultDataRegionPersistenceEnabled *to the DataStorageConfiguration.
Check the design draft again.

2) Of course, we have to maintain API compatibility. Deprecating old
classes and introducing new is just what I meant.

3) We can't do that - MemoryMetrics are calculated per memory policy and
PersistenceMetrics are calculated globally. It's a major change to
implement it another way.

By the way, let's assure the namings for new metrics classes.
DataRegionMetrics instead of MemoryMetrics looks fine.
About PersistenceMetrics - name "*DataStorageMetrics*" is not fair
enough as it will contain only metrics of persistent storage. Probably
*DataStoragePersistenceMetrics*,*PersistentDataStorageMetrics *or even
keeping *PersistenceMetrics* are better.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
Ivan Rakov

On 29.09.2017 21:12, Denis Magda wrote:
> Ivan,
>
> Several questions/concerns:
>
> 1. Looking at the new API I can’t grasp how to enable the persistence. First, how can
I enable it globally if there is only one default data region defined. Second, how do I enable
it per data region. Can’t find any related switches in the draft.

> 2. We cannot renamed anything like you’re suggesting to do for MemoryMetrics and their
beans. We have to deprecate old and introduce new.

> 3. I think we should merge Memory and Persistence Metrics into DataStorageMetrics for
clarity.

> —
> Denis
>

>> On Sep 29, 2017, at 6:29 AM, Ivan Rakov <ivan.glukos@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I've attached new configuration design draft to the ticket description: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-6030
>> Please, take a look. Right now is the best time to change name of any property.
>>
>> And question about metrics: are we going to rename MemoryMetrics and PersistenceMetrics
respectively (along with their MBeans)?
>> It's not a problem to implement it at all. The only thing that concerns me is that
we have to keep deprecated old classes in the codebase. Perhaps, MemoryMetrics/PersistenceMetrics
are intuitive enough.