ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: integrate with prestodb
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2017 02:25:52 GMT
Shawn,

Then my suggestion would be to enable Ignite persistence [1] that will store the whole data
set you have. RAM will keep only a subset for the performance benefits. Ignite SQL is full
supported for the persistence, you can even join data RAM and disk only data sets. Plus, your
compression becomes optional.

[1] https://ignite.apache.org/features/persistence.html <https://ignite.apache.org/features/persistence.html>

—
Denis

> On Oct 16, 2017, at 7:18 PM, shawn.du <shawn.du@neulion.com.cn> wrote:
>
> Hi Denis,
>
> Yes, We do want to limit the RAM to less than 64G.  RAM resource is still an expensive
resource.
> If we store our data with ignite SQL queryable format, our data may use more than 640G.
This is too expensive for us.
> So we store data using binary format which works a bit like orc or parquet. Only several
important columns are SQL queryable and the others are not. In this way, we do store using
less RAMs, but we have to use map-reduce to query the data, which is a little bit of complex:
Query in client with SQL, then submit jobs to ignite compute, finally do some post aggregation
in client.
> This is why I want to have a try of Presto. We like SQL, we want all computation on server
side.

> welcome your comments.
>
> Thanks
> Shawn
>
> On 10/17/2017 07:57,Denis Magda<dmagda@apache.org> <mailto:dmagda@apache.org>
wrote:
> Hello Shawn,
>
> Do I understand properly that you have scarce RAM resources and think to exploit Presto
as an alternative SQL engine in Ignite that queries both RAM and disk data sets? If that’s
the case than just enable Ignite native persistence [1] and you’ll get all the data stored
on disk and as much as you can afford in RAM. The SQL works over both tiers transparently
for you.

<mailto:shawn.du@neulion.com.cn <mailto:shawn.du@neulion.com.cn>>> wrote:
> > Hi community,
> >
> > I am trying to implement a connector for presto to connect ignite.
> > I think it will be a very interest thing to connect ignite and presto.
> >
> > In fact, currently we use ignite and it works very well.  but in order to save memory,
we build compressed binary data.
> > thus we cannot query them using SQL. We use ignite map-reduce to query the data.

> > Using presto, we may use SQL again. If it is fast enough, ignite will be our in
memory storage and not responsible for computing or only for simple query.
> > The only thing I concern about is presto is fast enough or not like Ignite. For
now all ignite query cost less than 5 seconds and most are hundreds of milliseconds.
> > Also presto provides a connector for redis.  I don't know community has interest
to contribute to presto-ignite?