ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Thin client and binary metadata
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2017 07:40:42 GMT
Igniters,

As you probably know, we are working on a new protocol for thin client. It
would allow users to create integrations with other languages and platforms
(e.g. Go, R, etc). This protocol should be simple enough, otherwise no-one
would ever implement anything on top of it.

There is a problem with binary object metadata. Currently when we serialize
objects we check if any new metadata is available, and if yes - we push it
to the cluster before serialization is finished. This way we always have
metadata for all objects in the cluster. Metadata allow us to implement
certain features - introspection (usability) and performance (so called
"compact footer" optimization). Bad thing is that metadata management would
make client implementation much more complex.

I feel that in some cases clients might decide not to implement metadata
management for the sake of simplicity. Technically this is very easy - just
disable "compactFooter" optimization and write field IDs during
serialization. But I remember that there were some ideas to deprecate
"compactFooter=false" at all.

My question is: are fine with idea that objects without metadata will be
normal case in Ignite?

Vladimir.