ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Ilya Lantukh <ilant...@gridgain.com>
Subject Monitoring of active transactions
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2017 11:27:51 GMT
Igniters,

According to our current design and implementation, unclosed transaction or
unreleased lock can hang ignite cluster forever. This is logical, and with
correct usage of those mechanics such issue should never happen, in real
world developers can make mistakes and leave transaction open. We have a
feature "transaction timeout", but turns out it doesn't work in all cases
(see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-6181). Even if all known
issues are fixed, there is still a lot of room for mistake and incorrect
usage.

To make it possible for Ignite users to discover such problem and trace it
to a particular part of code, I've created a very simple utility that
collects and prints information about long running transactions for the
whole cluster. It is available here:
https://github.com/ilantukh/IgniteTxViewer.

One might expect such monitoring utilities to be included in Ignite
codebase. Personally, I think that such information should be available
from public API, without using of additional applications or diving into
Ignite internals.

What do you think?

--
Best regards,